As far as slots are concerned, deciding between playing 3 reel slots, 5 reel or progressives should also be based on whether a particular slot falls into the high or low volatility categories.
All of these factors will play an important part in deciding where exactly to put your money in. of course, knowing what you want to ultimately achieve with playing online slots is also important.
Some players actually like to play slots as a way to make a living, they don’t mind small payouts as long as they happen on a regular basis. Other players are trying for that one big score and prefer to wait it out in hopes of hitting that really big payday!
This is where understanding the volatility index of slots really helps as low volatility slots will payout more often but with less cash while high volatility slots will payout less often but with much larger cash amounts. This page is designed to offer you more detailed ‘real world’ examples of the two types of payout characteristics so that you can make a much more informed decision on which route will best suit your particular needs.
Highest Return to Player Casinos
The best online casinos, including all of the ones in our recommended New Zealand casinos, will publish their casinos payout or Returns to Player statistics. This is one of the ways that casinos will also use their RTP statistics as a way to attract new players to the casinos, as casinos with higher payout percentages will attract more new players.
The way that payout percentages are calculated is based on a comparison between the amount of money win and the amount of money wagered at a given online casino. An example of this would be an online casinos publishing an RTP of 96%.
What this means is that for every $100 wagered, $96 is paid out in winnings. It is also important to note that this figure is determined by adding up the combined action of all games across the entire casinos, it does not mean that each player that bets $100 gets $96 back.
That being said, you’ll want to be looking at online casinos with a RTP of 95% or higher to play at.
Our top three online casinos based on payout percentages:
- Betway Casino: Payout percentage (RTP): 97.55% Great casino that features top bonus offers and fast payout times of 1-3 days.
- Lucky 247 Casino: Payout percentage: 97.05% Another top favourite online casino with New Zealand payers. Great bonus offers including free spins. Excellent player support available 24/7 and fairly quick payout times of 2-5 days.
- Jackpot City Casino: Probably the best NZ online casino, Payout percentage: 98.4% One of the highest payout percentage casinos for New Zealand players. Solid customer support and fast payout times of 1-4 days on average. Greta bonus offers and free spins on selected games.
Top three Best Pokies Payouts
- Break Da Bank: Payout percentage: 98% Microgaming’s top megaspin slot with great features including u to 100 times multipliers and 4 sets of reels to spin at the same time!
- Mega Joker Slot: Payout percentage: 99%. This top rated slot from NetEnt features two sets of 3 reels and is one of the most challenging slots around, also with one of the highest payout percentages available.
- UggaBugga Slot: Payout percentage: 99.07%. This crazy slot from Playtech is currently the highest payout percentage slot around and features a massive 10 sets of 3 reels for crazy slots play and fat percentage payouts!
- Casino Tycoon: A Great slot game from Dream Tech Development has a maximum coin win of 125000 and to top that a 97.28% Return to player (RTP) which places the game right at the top of the best paying online pokies
Most frequent jackpots
Generally progressive jackpot slots are considered to be high volatility slots and generally feature a payout percentage of around 85-87%. This means that they payout less often but offer much larger jackpots when they do.
Our top three most frequent payout jackpots:
- Mega Moolah: Mega Moolah is the undisputed king of all high volatility progressive jackpot slots and is one of the reasons so many Kiwis love Microgaming! The slot was launched in 2012 and has paid out over NZ$30 million! The game features 4 jackpot levels and pays out at anaverage of once every 30 days.
- Major Millions: Major Millions is another top progressive from Microgaming with an average jackpot payout of NZ$500,000-NZ$1 million. The average payout time of this slot is around 33-40 days.
- Iron Man 2: Not to be outdone by the reign of Microgaming, Playtech offer their own huge progressive slot game based on their incredibly popular Marvel Comics franchise. Iron Man 2 features 4 bonus levels that are randomly triggered at any time during the game. The biggest jackpot in the game, Ultimate Power averages around NZ$700,000. This progressive slot pays out every 4-6 days.
As you can tell there is quite a difference in high volatility and low volatility games and it really depends more on what sort of game you are after.
If you prefer to wait it out in hopes of hitting the big payday, then going for a game like Mega Moolah or Iron Man 2 is definitely the best strategy.
Those who prefer a more relaxed and steady game but with smaller payouts should stick to lower volatility games as they offer the best pokies payouts.